I’ve been thinking a lot about worship ever since last week when I shared Is Worship With Others An Idol?
Recently, I have been reading A.W. Tozer’s book, Pursuit of God and he mentions, *“The shallowness of our inner experience, the hollowness of our worship, and that servile imitation of the world which marks our promotional methods all testify that we, in this day, know God only imperfectly, and the peace of God, scarcely at all.”
This quote may be shocking to read, it was to me because of how true it was!
*”To great sections of the Church the art of worship has been lost entirely, and in its place has come that strange and foreign thing called a “program.” This word has been borrowed from the stage and applied with sad wisdom to the type of public service which now passes for worship among us.”
What is worship?
In our world today, we often correlate worship with praise music. But it is EXTREMELY easy to sing praise music with lifted hands, and well, not be worshipping. I looked up the definition and synonyms associated with worship. I feel like I needed the reminder.
Worship is a religious service or adoration.
I’m going to focus on adoration because that is what we need to know. Adoration comes in the form of prayer. It comes in the form of offering, showing honor and/or showing devotion.
Adoration is simply love in the form of worship and devotion.
Devotion is a commitment (engagement and loyalty).
Offering is something contributed like a gift or donation. but something interesting is an offering can also refer to sacrifice (to give up something) or atonement (please read note.)
Note: Jesus Christ was our ultimate offering making atonement for our sins. We cannot atone for anything, I do not want anyone to misunderstand. Post | Salvation (What Is It, How To Get It)
Honor is to show integrity (honesty) or respect.
With this in mind, here is my definition of what worship to God is.
Worship in regards to Christ –
- We are committed to worshiping God daily.
- We are committed to worshipping God only and nothing else, no idols, nothing placed before Him.
- Worship through devotion is shown through consistent prayer, reading scripture, talking to Him, and singing praise to Him (with or without music).
- Repentance. We leave our sins to Him and we surrender our flesh to Him.
- Offering can come in the sense of sanctification as we give up more things of the world to Him to draw closer to Him.
- We do things for Him, maybe it comes in the form of a service of others because that’s what He wants us to do. We sacrifice our priorities for the priorities of others, like Christ.
- We can worship Him through fasting. By giving up something we take great value in to draw closer to Him.
- We give Him the sacrifice of our time because He is worth it.
- Our bodies are living sacrifices and treating them properly and abstaining from sin is needed. This is how we honor Him with our bodies.
- We respect the Lord and do not take His name in vain.
- We show honor to Him by trusting Him when times are hard. What God has called us to do, we do not run away from.
Worship is so much bigger than what we think of. There are so many ways to worship the Lord. It’s important we have the perspective of, “I’m doing this for the Lord,” and then be reminded why it is important we give sacrifices, sanctify our life, honor His ways, and devote our time to Him.
Worship begins with sincerity of the heart putting to action the surrendering of our flesh which makes a connection to God.
Worship…is so far beyond music alone.
*The Pursuit of God, (1948) Harrisburg, PA: Christian Publications
What is worship to you?
What are some ways you can think of that shows worship to God?
Monthly Scripture – (NLT) 1 Timothy 1:19, “Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their conscience and as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.”
*** Community Prayers | January ’19 –Join Me In Praying For Each Other And If You Have A Request To Add Let Me Know.
Help For Christian Bloggers- Christian Blogging 101/Help
General Help For Blogging- Blogging 101
Second Blog: Peeking Beneath
Social- Twitter: T. R. Noble Instagram: Noblewriter77 Facebook Page: T. R. Noble Pinterest: TRNoble77 YouTube: T. R. Noble