Word of Faith Theology is deceptive, manipulative, and damaging. There was no possible way I would avoid talking about this because I do not want you to be misled. I can’t cover everything today, but just know this post is NOT the last on this deception.
If you would like to learn about the beliefs of these false teachings, and why they are not true, please see these resources:
- How New Age & Word of Faith Misunderstand The Bible (With Mike Winger & Melissa Doughtery)
- Prosperity Teachers Debunked: Romans 8:29-39 by Mike Winger
- The False Prosperity Gospel by Paul Washer
- Why We Quit Working For Joyce Meyer & Left The Word Of Faith Movement by Doreen Virtue. This actually started to change my perspective on people I once listened to, including Joyce.
- False Teachers EXPOSED: Word Of Faith/Prosperity Gospel by Justin Peters (this is a clip from one of the Clouds Without Water sessions)
The reason I share links throughout this post is so that YOU ARE NOT MISLED. Pray for these people, and warn others of false teaching. We need to see the deception in this world for what it is and stop turning a blind eye to it! We need to be able to help others see the deception, and plant those seeds.
Faith is something all Christians must possess but not all Christians have the same faith. Faith is not blind. Christianity is focused on the evidence of God. It’s focused on the evidence of the Savior. Check out this video- Please Stop Saying Faith Is Blind by Mike Winger.
All True Believers Have A Measure Of Faith
To be a follower of Jesus Christ means you have faith in Him.
(NIV) Romans 1:17, “For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed–a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
The righteousness of God is Jesus Christ, and Christ helps us become righteous in God. We must put our faith in Jesus!
(NIV) 2 Corinthians 5:21, “God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.”
(NIV) Romans 3:22-24, “This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”
True believers who have put faith in Jesus Christ love the Lord, God, with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. Fruit of the Holy Spirit is produced in them and it is evident in their lives. (Please see my post showing the difference between legalism and godly living for more clarification.) Mark 12:30
Faith can and should increase in a believer’s life (spiritual gift or no spiritual gift).
(NIV) 2 Thessalonians 1:03, “We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing.”
Faith is not created by us. It is given to us by God!
(NIV) Romans 12:03, “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.”
Faith Is NOT Equal, Why The Church Body Has Different Roles
(NIV) Romans 12:04-05, “For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.”
In the body of Christ, not ONE PERSON is higher than another. We all have a role that works for the benefit of the church body and ourselves. Regardless of if someone has a lot of faith, or not. Whether they are a pastor or a new believer. God shows no partiality.
Now, some individuals might have more authority over others, however, that by no means makes anyone lesser. It should never make someone untouchable that we can’t question them or test them. Remember we are to test all spirits, and that includes people who profess to believe, regardless if they preach they are “anointed” or not. (Romans 2:11, 12:06-08, 1 John 4:01)
What Having Faith Does NOT Do:
- Faith is not a “force” to be used to get what you want. We are not little gods as people preach and we do not have the ability to manipulate faith. We NEVER called things into existence and we will NEVER be able to call things into existence. ONLY GOD CAN! This is called the Law of Attraction and Christians NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS! See this post for further information on Law of Attraction: Visionaries & Vision Boards: Warning To Christians
NOTE: If you are confused– The Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel teaches we are little gods (they take being made in the image of God literal) they believe you are sick or do not have what you desire because you either are sinful or because you do not have enough faith (notice the emphasis ON WHAT YOU DO, not God, this is works-based). They focus on the scripture “by His stripes we are healed” to focus on this life, our health, and wealth. The truth is Christ died for our sins! This flesh body is still under the curse of sin, it will die. It doesn’t matter how “healthy” or “how much faith” a person is/has, their earthly body will die! Please see: Spiritual Shipwreck of the Word-Faith Movement by Justin Peters.
- Having faith does not mean you are never going to be sick or that you will be healed. Not having “enough” faith DOES NOT MEAN you are sick because you do not have faith. That’s a lie from the enemy! – Timothy had stomach issues, Paul laid hands on him before, Timothy’s stomach wasn’t healed. (1 Timothy 5:23), Paul left Trophimus who was sick 2 Timothy 4:20 (why didn’t he heal him?), there was a man who was blind not because of sin but because God would use it.
(NIV) John 9:02-03, “His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.”
- Having faith does not mean you will be wealthy – Jesus says the rich will struggle to enter the kingdom of Heaven. The poor are often praised in scripture, think about it! (Mark 10:25, Proverbs 11:28)
(NIV) Luke 8:14, “The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.”
(NIV) Luke 6:20, “Looking at His disciples, He said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.”
- Having faith does not mean living your best life is right now! STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE LIKE JOEL OSTEEN! We are meant to be foreigners in this land. This is not our true home! Our home is meant to be with Jesus! We grow through trials. We need to be focused on Christ and reaching others for Christ daily, NOT OURSELVES! Please see: 10 Worst Word Of Faith Teachers #5 Joel Osteen by Polite Leader
(NIV) Romans 5:03, “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.”
Hebrews 11 shares people who had faith and were not focused on this life. They did not see the promised land. They did not see the end result of their faith in their life, and that was enough for them because their eyes were focused on eternity, not this current life! READ BELOW!
(NIV) Hebrews 11:35-38, “…There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were put to death by stoning; they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated–the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground.”
THE NEXT LINE verse 39, PAY ATTENTION! “These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.”
Faith is NOT about our best life now, and it’s NOT about getting what we want.
Every true believer has faith and the Lord has given them a particular measure of it. If you think of the story of the talents, you’ll notice that some were given more than others based on their ability, but the Master expected all of His servants to go forth in what they were given. (Matthew 25:14-30)
Faith is referenced as a spiritual gift in 1 Corinthians 12:09. It is a gift given by the Holy Spirit. HUMANS need faith, God does not! God is the object of faith! We put our faith in Him!
(NIV) Romans 10:17, “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”
(NIV) Mark 11:22, “”Have faith in God,” Jesus answered.”
You want to increase your faith, spend time at the Savior’s feet, and listen to His word!
Community Prayer for July 2020
Monthly Scripture – (NKJ) Psalm 85:08, “I will hear what God the Lord will speak, for He will speak peace to His people and to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly.”
Second Blog: Peeking Beneath