Wow! This was an extremely thorough and helpful interview. If you want to learn more about Roman Catholicism, this interview by Justin Peters with Mike Gendron was so helpful! If you want to understand how teachings of Catholism are different from Christianity, check this out.
I also recommend watching this interview for fans of the series The Chosen. I’ve talked about The Chosen before on my blog. There are some things you should consider when watching the show, and some red flags to look out for. The actor who plays Jesus is a Roman Catholic. Dallas, the creator of The Chosen, also receives advice from a Catholic priest. I’m not entirely against the show, as I do explain in my post, but I want people to be aware and be cautious. There is a difference between how Catholics view salvation and what Jesus taught. See: Concerns With The Series “The Chosen”
Mike Gendron was Roman Catholic for the first 35 years of his life. He desires to share the deception he under in this interview with Justin Peters.
Justin Peters asks a lot of questions on Catholicism and Mike explains. I’ve jotted down a little study summary of the interview. I have just a few pieces of information the video covered. This would be a great review sheet, as well, if you want to become familiar with the differences of Catholic doctrine. If you would like to know the answers for everything else covered – check out the video, easy and understandable breakdown of terms:
- Importance of Protestant Reformation
- Roman Catholics use of indulgences – selling God’s forgiveness for a price.
- The purpose of the Reformation was to share the truth of the Gospel.
- Has The Roman Catholic Church Always Been Heretical?
- Problems of baptismal salvation
- Problems of the Eucharist
- Issue of Pope appointed as ”head” of the church – only Jesus is the head of the Church.
- The problem with the teachings of bishops?
- Terms like grace and faith are used but mean completely different things for the Roman Catholic – Catholics have a works righteousness – which means works are added to grace.
- Catholics teach you must believe:
- In Baptism
- In Receiving Sacraments
- To Do good works to be justified
- In Indulgences
- In Purgatory
- In Obeying the Law
- Do Roman Catholics Feel Confident In Everlasting Life?
- Fear of being in purgatory
- Fear of not doing enough
- Fear of dying in mortal sin, not obeying Law, receiving sacraments
- 1 John 5:13 – hope for those afraid
- What Is the Doctrine of Purgatory?
- Intermediate place between Heaven and Hell
- Definition & Difference between mortal sins and venial sins
- Indulgences help people get out of purgatory sooner, issues/problems with indulgences
- What is the Catholic view on missing Mass?
- See 1 John 1:7- Our sins are purified by the blood of Christ
- What Is The Doctrine of Justification?
- Declares the righteousness of God as a Judge, and the only way a condemned sinner is justified is through the blood of Jesus Christ, as our substitute, and putting faith in Christ, turning from our old life.
- The Catholic church does not believe justification is instantaneous. They believe we become more and more righteous through what we do.
- The righteousness of Jesus is perfect. It does not increase. It is already perfect. We are only accounted righteous because of HIS righteousness.
- What Is Imputed & Infused Righteousness?
- Catholics believe in infused righteousness.
- Imputed means accredited. In faith, Christ receives all of the sins of the sinner on the cross, He bears our sins, and takes the wrath of God on our behalf. Our sin is imputed to Christ, and His righteousness is imputed to us.
- If you are a born again Catholic, as soon as you sin your sin is counted against you. Most Catholics do not know where they stand with God, they live in fear.
- A born again Christian, his or her sin is not counted against them. This doesn’t mean we live in sin. We are convicted by the Spirit to turn and genuine followers of Christ hate sin. We desire to please God, and we do not have to fear our sin condemning us because Christ died on our behalf for all who put their faith in Him.
- Discussion On Current Pope.
- How is it that the Roman Catholic church has a Pope that is saying things against the Roman Catholic doctrine? Why is this hypocrisy a major issue for the Roman Catholic?
- Are Protestants Still Standing On The Reformation?
- What are some evangelical views on the Reformation?
- Do some evangelicals believe we need unity with the Catholic church?
- Is the Pope a brother in Christ?
- The Catholic Church Worked Hard At Keeping The Word of God From People
- Bible banning?
- “Indoctrination keeps people in Hell.”
- What was the cost of giving out the Bible to the common people?
- What was the role of Jesuits?
- Can You Be A Roman Catholic Who Loves Jesus & Be Saved?
- How is Jesus defined?
- How is salvation defined?
Mike Gendron has two books. Preparing For Eternity & Contending for the Gospel.
Check Out: Interview With Former Roman Catholic Mike Gendron by Justin Peters
Scripture To Memorize/Meditate On – (ESV) John 16:07-08, “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.”
To learn more about what Jesus did on the cross and why His atonement sacrifice is so needed please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
*If you do not know the Gospel, do not turn away. If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Community Prayer – Community Prayer – January ’22
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Blog For Christian Women: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From