Is it good to call out false teachers? How do false teachers deceive? Who can be easily deceived by false teachers?
Romans 16:17 is the focus of what Mike covers. He makes the point that this verse is something many false teachers do not like. This verse exposes their tactics.
Mike thinks this verse also supports sola scriptura, which he does explain later in the video. He points out when scripture says to note those who cause division – this means we have to mention names sometimes. He also notes the danger of emotionalism being a tactic of many false teachers. (See also: Should We Use Our Emotions As Truth? | What Is Emotionalism?)
False Teachers Mike Warns About:
- Pope Francis
- Creflo Dollar
- Benny Hinn
- Joel Osteen
- Anyone pushing the pro-gay agenda
- Oprah Winfrey
Recommended Resource: Justin Peters has an awesome teaching on false teachers, breaking down tactics, deception, lies, and twisting of scripture. His series is called “Clouds Without Water,” which you can view the full playlist here. Many of the false teachers listed above, Justin does go over.
Mike covers quite a bit in his video. He breaks down terms, covers a few scriptures, and clarifies issues Christians face.
Points Discussed, and Questions Mike’s Video Answers:
- What is the problem with soft “nice” teaching?
- Issues with the Church becoming “one” with others
- Issues when a church is too strict
- Issues when a church is too soft
- Christian liberty & Gospel essential
- Heretical beliefs in the church & hypocrisy
- Note those who cause division & offenses
- What teachers should we reject? How do we determine this?
- Are all divisions and all offenses bad?
- What does “doctrine divides” mean? Is it bad?
- The Gospel offends, Christ offends
- What was the first public message of Christ?
- What would modern liberal pastors say of Christ today?
- What would the secular world think of Christ?
- 1 Corinthians 1:23
- Why is doctrine important?
- “The faith” – in scripture relates often to the doctrines the Christian should believe
- Jude 1:03
- Who is to contend for the faith?
- What does anathema mean?
- What is the problem of someone preaching another Gospel?
- Does scripture have its own authority?
- What is sola scriptura?
- Does Christianity evolve and transform?
- What are the 3 kinds of division?
- What are core issues of the Gospel?
- When a church says we can openly sin – what should we do?
- Affirming sin leads others to reject Christ – because Jesus preaches repentance
- How do we note others?
- Is naming names ok?
- What are potential problems when our platform is discernment ministry?
- What are Christians called to do in scripture regarding discernment?
- What is a “creeping heretic?”
- “Contrary to the doctrine you have learned” means what?
- Tactics of false teachers
- Quick to proclaim they love Christ “That’s the sheep clothing on the wolf.” – Mike Winger
- Connection of abuse, narcissism to the false teacher/prophet
- Smooth Words – what does it mean
- Flattering speech – what does it mean & its connection to “blessing”
- What actually demonstrates the love of the Lord?
- What does “serving their belly” mean?
- How does doctrine help us test teachers?
- What did Joseph Smith do to try to trick readers in his book of Mormon?
- Who are deceived by false teachers?
“Build the gallows, after hearing them.” Mike Winger – We must be absolutely sure, Mike points out, that the person we believe is a false teacher is actually false teacher before we mark and avoid.
“Let the core of your teaching be clear.” Mike Winger
Mike has a ton of content over on his YouTube Channel. He covers cults. He covers skepticism people have of Christianity. Weekly he has a live chat in which he answers 20 questions. He goes over the Bible, he finished a two years series on the book of Mark, and he has some other books of the Bible he has thoroughly gone through, Romans, one of them. He has warned about watered down translations like The Message, The Mirror Bible and he has a series of interviewing scholars on the problems of The Passion Bible.
As Mike points out warnings against Pope Francis, Mike has a (currently) 14 video series on Catholicism, and why the doctrine is not Biblical. Catholicism Evaluated Biblically
Check Out: Identifying False Teachers by Mike Winger
The Gospel Message– The Gospel message is good news, which means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We as guilty sinners who need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Memorize/Meditate On – (ESV) John 16:07-08, “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.”
Community Prayer – Community Prayer – January ’22
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
4 thoughts on “Identifying False Teachers (Mike Winger)”
Hi, thanks for this info. I just have a question: Should a Christian watch “The Chosen”?
LikeLiked by 1 person
I wrote a whole post breaking down concerns I have with The Chosen.
I hope this helps!
Thanks for this important information, T.R. Preaching on false teachers, cults, and apostate churches is increasingly frowned upon in evangelical churches, especially church-growth “seeker” fellowships where “negative” messages are taboo.
LikeLiked by 1 person
It’s so sad, but I’ve been encouraged seeing the true body of Christ step up and say the truth. May the Holy Spirit open the eyes of those listening who are blind and falling for messages “itching to the ears”
LikeLiked by 1 person