“What you think God is like is the most determinate factor for the kind of person you will be.” – Tom Ascol
Psalm 50 – is the focus today. Why God cares for us to take the considerations of Him seriously?
What we believe about God matters, it shapes us. Nations are affected. The way we think about God affects our living.
I hope you are convicted today by Pastor Tom’s message, and consider the truth of God, and how crucial it is that we know Him in His word.
“Wrong living before God springs from wrong thinking about God.” – Tom Ascol
Points & Questions that get answered:
- How did God view the 3 friends of Job?
- Psalm 50 divides into 4 sections
- Psalm 50 is designed to see how we think of God
- What are the three names used for God in verse 1 of Psalm 50?
- How does God summon the earth?
- Why does God not keep silence?
- What does the faithfulness of God move Him to do?
- The Law Giver is the Judge of the Law
- Who is the focus of God’s judgment in Psalm 50?
- The reason we should examine ourselves?
- Selah – what is the importance?
- God cares about how people care about Him
- Formality vs. hypocrisy
- Worship of God is inner and outer
- In form & substance connection
- Why didn’t God rebuke the people for sacrifices? What did He rebuke the people for?
- Does God need our offerings?
- Can God be deprived of something if we do not “give” Him something?
- What is the folly of our thinking regarding “giving” God?
- Issue with harboring wrong thoughts about God
- Why does God not accept the outward action for the inner intention?
- How did the Jewish religion deteriorate?
- What does it mean for a religion to be sterile”?
- 3 things about proper worship, how to approach God
- sacrifice of thanksgiving – what is it?
- fulfill express devotion – what is it?
- call upon God, glorify Him – when do we call, how is He glorifed?
- Dependence upon God looks like what?
- The sacrificial system was designed to teach what?
- What/Who did the sacrificial system point to?
- Any attempt to worship God outside of Christ is what?
- “We can fall into patterns of formality… We know what to do.” – Tom Ascol
- What’s our need, as a Christian?
- God condemns what kind of living?
- What is the significance of Psalm 50:16?
- There are what among God’s people?
- What involves the pattern of sinful living?
- “Claiming to be Christians, but identifying themselves as their sin.”
- What do people say about sexual sin, how they believe it’s ok?
- 1 Timothy 2:12 – does Paul permit women in the church to teach?
- What are the 3 commandments listed in Psalm 50?
- What are the problems of being desensitized to how God designed sex?
- What is the reason and result of hypocritical living?
- Does God’s patience mean acceptance?
- What is the result of misconceptions about God?
- How is God’s warning of judgments words of mercy?
- How do we offer thanksgiving to God?
- “Don’t quarrel with His (God’s) diagnosis of your situation, but confess that He’s true.” Tom Ascol
- “God’s judgment may be delayed, but it will never be denied.” – Tom Ascol
- How will Christians be able to stand firm?
Check Out: The Danger of Misjudging God by Tom Ascol
The Gospel Message– The Gospel message is good news, which means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Memorize/Meditate On – (ESV) John 16:07-08, “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.”
Community Prayer – Community Prayer – January ’22
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook