Melanie grew up with charismatic teachers. She claims she noticed that Furtick would use scripture but then make it about himself. This is a common theme with false teachers. Motivational speaking is the sermon.
There are many fans of Steven Furtick and his music. I also used to promote the music on this blog. But in time, I saw how the music often was about me, just like so many other songs I was deceived by that stroked my ego.
I took what was said in the interview and changed a lot of answers into questions. I hope this encourages you to check out the video.
- Why is important to ask questions about theology?
- Conform and not question the leader – what is this similar to?
- How did Melanie’s friends react when she published publicly her warning about Furtick?
- Me center – what is it? How does this connect to Steven Furtick?
- Eisegesis – reading yourself into scripture
- Did Furtick preach the Gospel?
- Truth hurts and offends, the Gospel offends
- “Elevation experience” is a substitute for what?
- Elevation uses staff to “act” like they are part of the congregation
- Elevation music has false teaching in it, just like Hillsong, and Bethel
- Furtick claims the music is to help “declare words over self”
- Melanie recommends to do research on Elevation Church and Steven Furtick
- We should compare everything to scripture
Some resources that you might find helpful:
- Got Questions – Who is Steven Furtick & Are His Teachings Biblical
- Polite Leader – Elevation Church & Steven Furtick Exposed
- Justin Peters – Flee from Furtick
- Allie Beth Stuckey – Responding to Steven’s Furtick Post
- Fighting 4 Faith – Steven Furtick Teaches Modalism Heresy
- Doctrinal Watchdog – Steven Furtick declares himself to be God Almighty
- Berean Research – 6 different articles
- Michelle Lesley – Steven Furtick & Elevation Music (Michelle posts more articles if you want to do more research)
Melanie used to have a blog and was on social media, but I can no longer find links that work.
Doreen Virtue came out of the New Age. She was heavily involved with promoting false teachings, made a lot of money from her merchandise and talks, only to lose it all, and never find contentment in things. She turned her life over to Jesus when she realized she was doing the opposite of what God wanted. She was communicating with the dead and demons. To this day, people ridicule her for turning to Jesus Christ and denouncing the sin she used to partake of.
Her ministry is devoted to Christ and to encourage people of the Gospel. Doreen’s YouTube channel is used to help people become aware of New Age practices, how people cloak themselves as “Christian” and other deceiving false teachings. She often interviews a variety of Christians who are knowledgeable in particular topics, especially those who have gotten out of false teaching.
Check Out: Why I Quit Elevation Church with Melanie & Doreen Virtue (if the video is not available, use the link.)
The Gospel Message– The Gospel message is good news, which means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Meditate On – 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.“
Community Prayer – March ’22
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
4 thoughts on “Why I Quit Elevation Church (Steven Furtick’s Church) by Melanie & Doreen Virtue”
Much thanks for sharing this T.R.!!! I pray that you and your family are well! God bless and continue to use, keep and continue to guide you in ALL truth in Jesus name. Amen. ❤
Thank you, Tammy!!! I hope all is well with you!!! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for sharing this information. I too, had to give up Elevation church and all that goes with it. That was very hard for me because I often shared Furtick’s sermons and the worship music. You are right. We need to be asking more questions to discern the messages we are taking in.
LikeLiked by 2 people
So glad you were able to turn away. It can be so hard!