Before the resurrection, there was an arrest, a trial, flogging, beatings, and a crucifixion. Today, R. C. Sproul breaks down Mark 15:01-15. He points out 4 things that occurred during the discussion between Pilate and Jesus, among some ironies we find in scripture.
- Mark 15:01-15
- In the Apostle’s Creed, all 3 Persons of the Trinity are listed.
- Why would the church fathers choose to have “suffered under Pontus Pilate?”
- Background of Pilate.
- What is the irony of Pilate ruling for 11 years?
- Sometimes Pilate would provoke the Jewish people, how?
- 4 things were in the discussion between Pilate and Jesus.
- Jesus being King
- Jesus’ guilt or innocence
- Jesus understanding of truth
- Question of amnesty
- The arrest, trial, and crucification is about shame and mockery, why does R.C. Sproul say this?
- What is the connection between being killed outside of the city and the scapegoat?
- What is the English translation missing when Christ says, ”You say I am a king.”?
- What is the significance of Christ being King of kings and Lord of lords?
- How does Christ bring up a new topic from kingship to truth?
- “Jesus said the reason He came here was to bear witness to the truth.”
- Is it REALLY about a personal relationship? What is misleading when people say, “It’s just about a personal relationship,” according to Sproul?
- Why does Sproul think Pilate was serious when he asked Christ about truth?
- Why couldn’t Pilate find any fault in Christ?
- Which cardinal sin does R. C. Sproul say the Pharisees had that lead them to deliver Christ up to Pilate?
- What is the irony when people wanted the murderer instead of Christ? (As in name?)
- How do we see God’s Sovereignty regarding Pilate?
Check Out: Jesus Before Pilate by R. C. Sproul
(If the video does not show below, click on the above link.)
The Gospel Message– The Gospel message is good news, which means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Meditate On – 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.“
Community Prayer – April ’22
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook