Is Jesus God? How close is Armageddon? Should we use other sources aside from the Watch Tower? Do we have any assurance of salvation?
Cults have a very particular way of thinking. Terms may be the same, but their meanings can be entirely different to those in the cult. For Jehovah’s Witnesses, their leader is the organization known as Watch Tower.
This is a video I will occasionally reference in my posts. Melissa has a whole video series on Jehovah’s Witnesses or JWs for short. This video selection is her second one out of the series. I wanted to share it today because Melissa does a great job going over mind control. The tactics that cults and leaders use over their followers need to be understood. We need love and patience for anyone under cult thinking. We need to know how to reach someone from her perspective.
I hope you enjoy this video.
To encourage you to check out the video, I have taken many answers given and turned them into questions, as well as list a few key points.
- Mind control can seem subtle.
- “If you can understand mind control, you can understand the mind of the witness.” – Melissa Dougherty
- Melissa shares ways to penetrate through mind control.
- BITE Model – what is it?
- JWfacts.com – Melissa recommends
- 4jehovah.org – Melissa recommends
- Why does Melissa believe it’s important to understand the position of the person you are talking to?
- How does the Watch Tower use God as a way to allow what they say?
- Why is it important to know differences of societies and culture?
- Why is it important to understand the mind of the JW?
- Mind control is not the same as brain washing.
- How does the movie Tangled reflect cult-like tactics?
- Strict obedience to the authority.
- What is the connection between blindly following and not being allowed to ask questions?
- How do cults use “special revelation” to draw people in?
- Who has more authority in cults?
- How does shunning affect a person?
- Melissa references the book, Releasing the Bonds, by Steven Hassan
- What are the 3 reasons Hasson gives for why intelligent and educated people could be pulled into cults?
- What are you promised if you join the Jehovah’s Witness organization or any other group?
- Behavior control in JW.
- Why can’t Jehovah’s Witnesses listen to Christian music?
- What is “bad association” and how does it affect a JW?
- What is the schedule of a JW like?
- What is group think?
- Why are JWs stressed so much?
- Who is the “faithful and discreet slave” that JWs must believe?
- How is censorship used in the organization?
- Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to look at material outside of the group.
- What happens when you agree that the ”apostate” material is true as a Jehovah’s Witness and how do others look at you?
- How is fear propaganda used?
- What is confession for the Jehovah’s Witness?
- How is confession connected to what Scientology has done?
- Why is research frowned upon in the organization?
- How do Jehovah’s Witnesses have the same answers (word by word)?
- How are the answers by the Imperial Bible Dictionary being taken out of context by the Watch Tower?
- How does this happen with other sources JWs use?
- What is manipulation of information?
- Why is the organization against a higher education?
- What is loaded language?
- Why would a JW believe you need the organization to interpret the Bible for you?
- “You’re not taught what the scripture says. You’re taught what the scripture says in view of the Watch Tower.” Melissa Dougherty
- What is the weekly homework for a Jehovah’s Witness like? How does this relate back to group think?
- Why is it wrong to question the Watch Tower?
- What does the Watch Tower say on people begin able to question?
- What is the Watch Tower’s views on independent thinking?
- Emotional control & its connection to repulsion.
- What is the significance of the year 1975 relating to the Watch Tower and Armageddon?
- What is emotional manipulation? How does Watch Tower use emotional manipulation?
- What does Hasson say about cults using fear?
- How do Jehovah’s Witnesses view Dooms Day?
- What is the connection of Stockholm syndrome and being a Jehovah’s Witness?
- What is disfellowshipp?
- Fear of worldly people – how is worldly defined by the organization?
- How is the Jehovah’s Witness associated with guilt on a near daily basis?
- Cognitive Dissonance, what is it?
- If you’re interested into learning JW doctrine, see Melissa’s next video in the series.
Check Out: Mind Control, Entering the Mind of a Jehovah’s Witness by Melissa Dougherty
To view the whole series on Jehovah’s Witnesses that Melissa has created check out her – 7 Video Playlist
If the video below does not work, please click on the link provided above.
The Gospel Message– The Gospel message is good news, which means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Meditate On – 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.“
Community Prayer – April ’22
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook