Is memorizing scripture possible? What if you have a bad memory? The reality is most of us tend to remember what we want to. We can tell people about the shows we watch or the books we read. We can complain about the sins someone made against us from a week ago to 5 years ago. Susan Heck makes the point if we enjoy brain teasers, we can memorize scripture.
Memorizing scripture takes repetition, diligence, and desire. But as we stay diligent, the word of God promises to change our life. We can’t make the claim scripture does not change our life when we are not involved in scripture on a daily basis, and when we do not meditate on His word daily. How can we claim something when we have not tested out what we proclaim?
Encouragement to read scripture, to love scripture, to find freedom in life struggles – today’s video pick is for you.
I have taken answers given and turned them into questions, or summarized main ideas given. I hope this encourages you to listen to Susan’s video.
- Have we ever memorized a book of the Bible?
- What benefits does Susan list when we memorize scripture?
- Lives changed through memorization of the scripture.
- Who should memorize scripture?
- Psalm 1
- Those who delight in God’s word will meditate on God’s word.
- What does meditate mean?
- Colossians 3:16 – let the word of God indwell in you richly.
- What does it mean to have the word of God indwell in us?
- Who were the various people Susan listed that had memorized scripture?
- How did Frances Abagail memorize scripture?
- Why has “quiet time” ruined Christians?
- How are women Biblically illiterate?
- Everyone should be memorizing scripture.
- Why should we memorize scripture?
- 12 reasons to memorize scripture
- 1. To be successful (Joshua 1:08)
- What does it mean to be successful through memorizing scripture?
- 2. Conviction of sin, which leads to sinning less. (Psalm 119:11, Psalm 37)
- What verse convicted Susan in the book of James?
- 3. God’s word has power to change your life. (Hebrews 4:12)
- God’s words have power, not our words – what does this mean?
- 4. Commanded of us. (Deuteronomy 6:06)
- 5. Examples of saints in the New Testament who memorized scripture. (Acts 7)
- What books did Stephen quote from in the book of Acts?
- 6. To transform your mind. (Romans 12:01-02, Ephesians 4:23)
- 7. Enable you to be a better counselor. (Psalm 119:07)
- What happens when we hide God’s word in our heart?
- 8. Keep you from error. (Matthew 22:29)
- Women are more easily deceived than men – why is scripture memorization important for women?
- What is the connection between cults and the misunderstanding of scripture?
- 9. Increase your love for God and your knowledge of God. (1 John 5:02-03)
- 10. Comfort you in your afflictions. (Psalm 119:50)
- 11. Spiritual Growth (1 Peter 2:02)
- 12. Help you in your old age.
- What scripture should we memorize?
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- If you are in a women’s Bible study, Susan suggests to memorize what you are going over.
- If you struggle with something, study scripture on the topic.
- How did a young woman who experienced rape find freedom through memoizing scripture?
- Psalm 42-43 – for depression, thoughts of suicide
- 1 Corinthians 13- struggle to love others
- Matthew 6 – fear, worry, anxiety
- James 3 – Gossip, slander
- What is the problem when we memorize verses? How should we be careful when memorizing verses?
- When do we memorize scripture?
- Meditate day and night
- How often is our mind in neutral, idle thinking?
- How do we memorize scripture?
- Brain can do amazing things
- 3 Tips
- 1. Start – Pick a book, portion
- 2. Realistic Goals – What is realistic for you?
- 3. Find accountability partner
- Do not memorize when distracted
- Stick to same translation
- What tip does Susan give when you struggle to memorize a particular section/verse?
- Susan’s Husband’s Method To Memorize
- Brain picks up things faster when we listen to a fast speed
- Review: What are ways to review what we have learned?
Check Out: Call To Scripture Memory by Susan Heck
If the video below does not work, click the link provided.
The Gospel Message: With the Good News means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Meditate On – (ESV) Proverbs 28:14, “Blessed is the one who fears the LORD always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.”
Community Prayer –
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook