Prayer is often something people struggle to do. It’s another topic I think we may far too complicated, all because we are not familiar with God’s word. Today’s sermon pick dives into the importance of prayer and how we are to honor God in prayer.
To encourage you to check out the video, I’ve taken the commentary given and turned it into questions, while sharing just a few key points given.
- Luke 11
- Why was it odd for Jews in Jesus’ day to believe they could have a relationship with God?
- God yearns for the prayers of the righteous.
- What does scripture say about prayer and those who have a relationship with God, through Christ?
- Does God ever get weary hearing people’s prayers?
- What elements were part of a Jewish prayer?
- Is Jesus giving new instruction in how He guides the disciples in prayer?
- The Lord’s prayer is a framework on how to pray, Pastor John points out.
- Luke 11:01 – Christ constantly prayed and this ministered to the disciples.
- What did the disciples of John the Baptist do?
- What is the significance of, “when you pray”?
- Is it wrong to call God, Father?
- What is the story of the Prodigal Son really about, according to Pastor John?
- Hallowed be Thy name – what does it mean to hallow God’s name?
- The name stands for the character of the person, Pastor John points out.
- “The name isn’t a title, but a total.” John MacArthur
- What is absent in secular Greek?
- What does Origin say about how we define God?
- How do we hallow God in our life?
- “Prayer begins with us upon our face.” – John MacArthur
- What is the purpose of, “Thy kingdom come”?
- What is the connection between God’s sovereignty and our submission?
- What are the two kingdoms Pastor John mentions?
- Can we have a gray acceptance? What does gray acceptance mean?
- “We rebel against evil in the world.” – John MacArthur
- Why is it important to share the passion of the Lord? How does Pastor John define this, and what examples does he give?
- How are the requests of the Lord’s prayer connected to a promise?
- James 1 – Does God tempt us?
- What can we trust of the Lord, regarding prayer?
Check out: How Should We Pray by John MacArthur
If the video below does not work, please click the link above.
The Gospel Message: With the Good News means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Meditate On – (ESV) Romans 3:10, “As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one.”
Community Prayer –
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook