From where does our help come from?
Today we are going to continue the thought we began last week. What does it mean to rely upon the Lord?
Psalm 62:01-02 says – For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
Originally, I was not planning on adding verse 2 because verse 2 relates a lot to what we covered last week in how God is our everything. However, I do think it is important to see themes repeated throughout scripture. We can trust our Lord. He is our rock and our salvation.
Please check out God is My Everything to see how God anchors us.
Life Application for Psalm 62:01-02
- Hebrew for soul in verse1 can mean an assortment of things. Many commentaries bring up the fact of the speaker taking into account his entire being. All of him is waiting is silence. All of him is reliant upon the Lord.
- We need to rely solely on the Lord in a way we should not rely on anyone else. When we rely on others and put them above the Lord, they will always disappoint us, and we can make idols of the people we are close to or look up to.
- Do not mistake silence for the act of listening to God outside of scripture. This practice is known as Contemplative Prayer. If you would like to learn more about this dangerous teaching please see: Exposing Contemplative Prayer, Listening Prayer, Christian Mysticism & More | Resources for You
- We rely on the Lord because He is our salvation. The Lord is where we receive wisdom and truth. He grounds us in truth that holds us up and helps us not only stand against trials but grow through tribulation. Christ is our Rock. January we covered the importance of going over scripture which you can read a summary of what was covered in Importance of Scripture | Life Applications for January ‘23.
- Finding our strength, our hope, our anchor in Christ helps us remain stable when everything else around us is falling. God is in control and He is Sovereign.
*All scripture is from ESV
The Gospel Message– The Gospel message is good news, which means there’s bad news. We all are sinners and condemned. We all deserve the just punishment of God’s wrath. Christianity is unlike any other religion because we cannot earn our way into Heaven. God saw the weakness of man and his utter depravity. Yet, He showed us grace. Jesus, God, One Person of the Trinity, became God in the flesh, the God-Man. He was always perfect and sinless. And His humanity was perfected on the cross, living the full sinless life. He became our atonement sacrifice. Dying in our place, taking on the wrath of God upon Himself. He died on the cross, and He was resurrected because death could not hold Him. Jesus is the answer. We, as guilty sinners, need His blood to pay off our debt of sin. For all who put their faith in Him – meaning eyes are opened to the Gospel, we see ourselves as a sinner, we see the need for Christ, we desire our Savior, and we see the ugliness of our sin. Putting our faith in Jesus, we seek HIs forgiveness and repent from our sins, we turn away from our old way of life. We, through the work of the Holy Spirit, continue to become convicted of sin daily. Our eyes will never be the same again. We see things in a different light, and the truth of Christ affects how we live and serve Him. Christ tells us to count the cost. Salvation is a serious topic, it is not to be taken lightly. For a breakdown of this powerful message, understanding how Christ could be God and Man, why God required sacrifices, and more -please see: Why Did A Loving God Kill His Son? (Does God Hate?)
If you think you know the Gospel, check out these questions and see how prepared you are for the day someone might ask you why you believe: The Gospel Challenge (30 Question Quiz) – Are You Ready To Defend Your Faith?
Scripture To Meditate On –(ESV) Psalm 90:02 – Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
Community Prayer – March ‘23
Christian Topics/Series Covered
Personal Blog: Peeking Beneath
Second Blog: UnAshamed Christian Housewife
Godly Men & Women I Recommend: Link To List
Resources For False Teaching: Recommended Websites For False Teachers/Teaching
Video Playlist: Christian Questions, Topics, False Teachers, Insights
Video Playlist: New Christian Believer
Video Playlist: Understanding False Teachings
Video Playlist: Sermons To Grow From
Social: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
COMMENT RULES– Rules For Comments (Why Some May Not Appear)